Sunday, January 24, 2010

When Life Sucks, Count Your Blessings for It is Well with My Soul

Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair.  Sometimes it just plain sucks.  I think, well actually I know, everyone at some point has a what I like to call a "sucky day," and gets melodramatic by wishing for an immediate, though not painful, death.  Life can be hard, stressful, sad, and unjust.

I've been experiencing the harshness of life, though am trying my best to face each day with a smile, am finding myself being a little melodramatic.  I am starving.  It amazes me how I can be both nauseated and hungry at the same time.  To be hungry, knowing that when I eat I will throw up, just doesn't seem fair to me.  Sometimes I wonder where God's mercy is.  The hunger pains overwhelm me so that I eat, throw up, eat and throw up,  in hopes that I might at least reach a balance for at least a moment. It's been a sucky day.  I have a lot of those it seems. I'm too sick to go out with friends and too tired it seems to be the best daughter.  I feel isolated.  Even God feels out of reach.

When life becomes unbearable, I find myself thinking of two songs, "Count Your Blessing" and "It is Well with My Soul."  The first song comes to my mind when I am at the end of my rope and unable to summon the smallest smile.  When you have a sucky day, do just as the song suggests, count your blessings.  So that's exactly what I do: 1. my supportive parents 2. my neighboring grandmothers 3. my job working with the kids 4. an understanding boyfriend 5. financial stability 6. wonderful and healthy family 7. loving and praying churches 8. friends to laugh with 9. animals to play with......the list can truly go on and on, those few are just what came to mind within a few seconds.  The blessings in my life always outweigh the bad, and that's when I see the grace and mercy that God has provided.  The truth is God NEVER gives you more than you can bear; it says so in His Word.  

The second song was written by a man who lost his entire family to a sunken ship.  In fact, he wrote the song in the very place that the died.  Have you ever listened to the words? "When peace like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well with my soul, it is well with my soul". That gives me chill bumps.  When you have a good, decent, or sucky day, it should be well with your soul.  Be thankful for what you have, focus on your blessings rather than your hurts, and everything will truly be well with your soul.  To God be the Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment