Monday, January 3, 2011

Battered Rock

I haven't blogged in a while.  Mostly because I have felt like the rocks weathered by the constant moving of the sea.  I felt as though I was sputtering for air under the overwhelming sea.  I was simply trying to survive each day.  Lately, a storm has risen and the seas of life are eroding away me, like a rocks along the shore.  I am beaten and battered and unsure of how to make it until the hurricane passes.
Two weeks ago today, I had stomach surgery.  They out a stomach pace maker in to try and see if the rhythms in my stomach can be regulated, and therefore relieve the source of such discomfort for me.  Here's where I'm at: I'm 20 years old. A little more than four years ago, I was perfectly healthy, playing ball and hanging out with friends.  It has finally occurred to me that I have a chronic illness, meaning that I am going to be sick until my last breath.  It's a pretty sobering thought.  I'm scared and very, very tired.  I have to grit through each day, just to get a unrestful night's sleep, so I can start all over again.  I know that by the strength of God I am able to survive each day, but I don't want to have to try to survive each day.  Fighting the high, heavy waves for air is physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting.  Life's hard enough without having to feel wrung out at the end of every day.
As the waves strike the rocks along the shores during a massive storm, there is an explosive spray upon impact and sometimes pieces of the rock are broken away.  That is what's happening to me now. If I ever feel the waters receding, making me feel in control again, I am blindsided by the impact, realizing that it was just the vicious ebb and flow of the ocean.  I'm breaking. I'm tired, lost, and confused, and the constant wear and tear of the waves are breaking my steady rock of foundation. I'm fighting to stay strong, and I'm fighting to survive.
As the pieces of me began to erode away, I made a very hard decision.  The one who's stood by me for two and a half years, I asked him to leave for higher ground for a while.  I felt (still feel) unstable, and that's not a solid foundation for a good relationship.  We're both young and I've found that there is no handbook on how to manage life with a chronic illness, so much of it seems just trial and error.  And we were experiencing more errors than anything else.  We love each other with all of our hearts, but if I'm drowning, I can't be who I need to be for both him or me.  I've been ostracized, it feels, for my decision.  Understandably so. But I honestly believe that I made the right choice.  I want to focus on recovering the pieces of me lost at sea, I want to use all of my strength to get better.  But then again, I could be just making another error.  I'm so tired, and I can't breathe with the waves constantly crashing down on me.
Honestly, I just want to skip town.  Take my camera and go back to Montana.  Everything seems clearer there, that God's presence is so easily recognizable.  I just want to go for a drive, and not stop.  I don't want to hurt the ones I love anymore by lashing out while under the stress of the storm.  I am completely clueless of which direction I should take to weather the storm, each way I turn all I can see are giant waves, causing the horizon to be blocked from my vision.  One wave exclaims that there is no hope in this illness, the pace maker will not provide me with the necessary relief to get through each day.  Another shouts that I have made the wrong decision, and that I always will. Another wave declares that I am a disappointment to me family.  Most of the waves scream that my life is in pieces.  The oppressiveness of the waves cause me to despair.  The only thing I know to do is to push myself to wait patiently on the Lord, for one day He will deliver me from this storm, and He will restore my foundation.

7 comments:

  1. I continue to pray for you and for your family. I know the past few weeks have been just awful and I can't imagine what this journey is for you daily. I know the decision to part ways was a difficult one and one you felt needed to be made. I know you are not a disappointment to your mom as she is so proud of you and of your accomplishments in life. She continues to provide us with regular updates here at TFC as we are always asking "how is steff doing?" Please know that we at TFC pray for answers and for healing for you. Continue to trust in the Lord for he know's the plans he has for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't loose faith. I am going to send you something in the mail... because what I long to say to you is far to long for this comment.... I love you so much! Know that when we are weak God is SO strong... and that sometimes our brokenness blesses God to know that we are wholly His.

    Amy Grant sings the song entitled 'Better than a Hallelujah' and here is the chorus:

    We pour out our miseries
    God just hears a melody
    Beautiful the mess we are
    The honest cries of breaking hearts
    Are better than a Hallelujah

    I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, your dad sent your blog site to my wife last night-we went to the same church back in the 70's- and I have sat and read most of them. You have an unique way of expressing what it's like to live with a chronic illness. I laughed hard at your description of the gas leaving the body thru the shoulder. My wife called and got me some stronger pain med, they said the skinnier you are, the worse it hurts. As a kid, I also wanted the battle scars, careful what you wish for. I now have a matching set just below and to each side of my navel 37 years between, with several others. Dealing with the physical and emotional pain daily is very tiring. What keeps me emotionally stable is that I know God is there even at the bleakest time. In 1988 I was ready for an end, God heard my cry for help, put everything in place for the help I needed and when I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it, His voice said "Everything will be alright". I went from tormented to at peace in an instant. I now have crippling spinal problems and an auto immune disorder that is causing neuropathic pain that is sometimes uncontrolled by pain meds.
    If this pacemaker works, it will still take time for your body to adjust. Be patient, and trust God never allows us more than we can bear with His help.
    Gregg Farris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steff Collier, little buddy, wow. Where do I begin? I know we are friends, but honestly I haven't lived up to the word friend. I was so excited when I, just now, found your blog so I could follow you. But I started reading, and I realized you have gone through so much more than I knew, and I feel like crap because I haven't been there for you! I am literally sitting on my bed now crying like a baby. I want you to know that anytime, ANY TIME you need someone, if you can't sleep from discomfort, feel like your drowning, anything call me! Text me, I will do anything for you girl. I love you Steff Collier, and am so sorry that I haven't been there for you buddy. I want to be a comforter to you, if I can be and you want me to. Also just saying, if you feel the need to just start driving one day, Montana bound, I'll be a companion for you. We can go to Lame Deer (Lame Duck for Coach Lees) :)
    Let me summarize, I love you, and I'm here for you anytime for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, we've never met, but a friend of mine passed along your blog and asked for prayer for you. I find it incredibly humbling that you are able to use the storms in your life as an opportunity to glorify God. I honestly have no idea what you're going through other than what you've posted, and I don't know the specifics of your situation. However, I can empathize with you because I also suffer from a chronic, regularly deabilitating illness. Because I don't look sick or complain about what I'm suffering through, people tend to think I'm a hypochondriac or overdramatic when I do mention my condition, even my own family at times. It's incredibly discouraging to feel alienated because of an illness no one else understands. I'm 19, a workaholic, and a Christian. I was perfectly healthy and extremely active before I started getting sick, too. God is using you for a purpose, and although you feel like just living through each day takes everything you've got, don't give up. I know how it feels to want to carry this burden all alone and not inconvenience anyone, but it's alright to rely on the people who love and care about you for encouragement. It's alright to make the choice to keep some things for you and God to handle alone. It's also alright to be tired, just don't lose sight of your hope and joy in Christ. The people who love you are going to support you no matter what. Keep pushing on, sister. You're stronger than you know. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, Chapel Next at Fort Belvoir is praying for you. Your strength in the face of daily challenge is inspiring. Paul said, when I am weak, then am I strong. Be strong in the LORD, Stephanie! We're pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete