Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Struggles

I'm up past my bedtime, as always, with a lot on my mind.  Lately I have been struggling with my illness, which is nothing new, but it's been more difficult on me for some reason.  Probably because I'm getting a little worse.  My latest symptom is severe pain everywhere as well as skin sensitivity everywhere.  My toes hurt, my scalp hurts, I think that even my pinky hurts,  a rather accurate exaggeration.  It's discouraging, but I don't think that is the main reason that I'm struggling. 

I'm angry and that's why I'm struggling.  I'm not mad at God, never.  He's my Deliverer in all this.  No that's not why I'm angry....I think I'm angry at myself.  So angry in fact that it makes my blood boil and I wanna scream just like a heated kettle on a stove.  I feel like all I do is cry and complain.  I feel that my illness is not that severe, that I'm just being dramatic.  There are people my age with cancer and debilitating diseases, and here I am, crying about feeling bad.  Granted, it's a miserable feeling, but I'm functioning.  I continue to work, go to school, make good grades, do chores, shop, go to the movies.  I mean, why can't I stop crying?!

I'm angry because I feel like I am not strong enough.  I'm not strong enough to smile when I'm sick or put a brave face on for my parents.  I'm ashamed at just how weak I really am.  Sounds like my pride is angry because it has been hurt. I'm the only sick one in my family; my great-grandmother can out work me.  I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.  I'm angry with myself, with my weakness, my complaints, my tears.  I feel like they are not justified.

I'm trying to remember if I cried this much when I was better.....I don't actually remember what I was like before I was sick.  This whole illness has redefined my entire life.  But I do remember that I was always sensitive, I mean the first time I ever saw Meet the Parents I cried because I felt bad for Ben Stiller's character!  So maybe I'd cry the same amount if I was better, I'm just a sensitive soul. But what about my complaints?  I'd like to think I wasn't much of a complainer, but then again, I really don't remember, and neither does my mom.  I do remember that I was always healthy, never sick, and never nauseated.  Hmm...I wonder what that felt like.  I can't remember.

I guess I don't want to go back in time 3 years and not be sick.  Then I wouldn't know as much as I do now.  But I am worn out, unjustly so I feel.  I guess really and truly I want God to be proud of me.  I want him to be proud of the way I'm handling this illness, that I'm learning all that He teaches me.  But I honestly don't feel that way.  Many times I don't feel Him at all, probably because of my stupid self-reliance rather than my God-reliance.

God, I need Your help so bad.  I feel like a lost fish struggling in the net of discouragement and disappointment.  God, I am so disappointed with myself, with my pessimistic attitude and with my selfish tears.  I know that crying is a way that You allow our emotional wounds to heal.  Help me to recognize those wounds in others though, so that I may shed tears from prayer and compassion for them, rather than focusing all of that energy on me.  I hope you are not too terribly disappointed in me.  I just need to rely on You, which I confess is easier said than done.  Help me to truly understand how to rely on You so that I can really trust Your will and Your ways.  Help me to be strong for my family, and give them more strength than You give me, they deserve it.  Thank You for listening to my rants as well as my prayers.  You are everything I need.  I know that.  Now help me to live that, everyday.  I love You, God.  Thank You for all Your blessings.

6 comments:

  1. Girl I am crying reading your blog! What a beautiful writer you are! My heart breaks for you!!!

    I'm angry because I feel like I am not strong enough.
    Girl you are STRONG!!!! Stronger than what you give yourself credit! Trust me I know how you feel.

    I'm not strong enough to smile when I'm sick or put a brave face on for my parents.

    So lose the smile when you don't feel like smiling I promise you don't have to smile all the time! Your parents don't expect you to put on a brave face!!!!! Trust me they just want their baby to get well and for someone to figure out what the heck is wrong. I've been thinking have you been checked for Lyme disease? I also mentioned to your mom that maybe you need to have your adrenal gland checked.... Just grasping at stuff trying to help figure this out. There is something wrong!! You are not crazy you are not making this up your problem is not in your head you are sick and they are missing whatever is wrong!!

    I'm ashamed at just how weak I really am. You better not be ashamed! You have NOTHING to be ashamed of you are sick and the doctors are missing what is wrong with you!!!!

    Sweet Steff I wish I could wave a magic wand and give you a diagnosis!! I will keep praying for you and the doctors that you will get better or they will find what is wrong! Something is wrong!!!!! There is no doubt about it!!!!! Keep writing I think it's good to vent... Nothing makes you feel worse than not being able to do the things everyone else can without pushing to keep going. I know trust me! Nothing beats thinking your crazy, & thinking it's in your head. I know I have been there!!! People try and understand what you are going through but they can't !!!! They aren't going through what you are they don't realize how easy tasks for them are a struggle for you. If they only knew how much you disguise how you really feel!! Sometimes I wonder if we lost the disguise if people would take us a little more serious..... I know what it's like to feel like you have no life and I promise it's okay to be angry it's okay to be mad it's okay to question why me God. Just keep praying and don't lose your faith he will see you through. He's never let me down BUT HIS timing and mine is defiantly totally different! He doesn't answer fast enough for me! (lol) but he never lets me down!! I also know how it feels to be a parent of a sick child. My baby was sick for 2 years and never was given a full diagnosis. I will write more later the baby is trying to grab the computer. God knows how many words are misspelled etc. Stay strong because you are very strong!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog off of a comment left on MckMama's. I would like to talk to you about your pain. I looked for an e-mail address. Please e-mail me at eddreher@yahoo.com
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steff I posted your blog web site on Mckmama's site. I've been following her blog for over a year and she is awesome! Her link is http://www.mycharmingkids.net/ if you ever want to read it. Anyway please email Janet maybe she can help

    ReplyDelete
  4. When your mother and I first got married i had thought that in order to be successful I would need to make a 6 figure income. By the time you were born my measure of success had changed dramatically - success for me would be if I became the godliest person you knew. A pretty lofty goal - one I have never reached (at least from perspective). I was hoping to be a father who would teach his child how to have a wonderful relationship with the One that created us. I did my best to do that but at some point within the last 3 years I became the student and you became the teacher. To watch you remain steadfast in your faith regardless of your circumstances has humbled me. There are many times that I weep for you - some when I think about the pain and suffering you experience on a daily basis - and some when I think about how proud I am of you. You have become one of the godliest people I have ever met. I see the love of Christ in you abounding to others. Even though there are days the sickness knocks you off your feet you remain steadfast in your faith.

    God is teaching you so much - keep a teachable spirit and don't miss what He has for you. When I see you I am reminded of what the apostle Paul wrote to the church at Corinth in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 "And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

    I love you Booger and I am so proud I get to hear you call me Daddy! Stay the course - you are having a tremendous influence on a lot of lives. When the nausea started you were disappointed in not being able to minister to the other girls on the softball team - now God has given you a platform to minister to many more lives.

    I love you! Keep living for Jesus!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steff's dad!!!!! I needed to read your post today!!! What an awesome Christ filled family you are!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steff you have such a sweet and pure spirit. You said that you don't remember what it was like to not be sick, like you don't remember who you were. As a bystander during this time of your life I can say that I remember. You have a tender heart, and yes you were very apt to cry at something sad easily. You were and still are one of the sweetest, loving, and Christian young women that I've ever known and loved. Reading all of your blogs I feel like I'm meeting a new Steff, a grownup Steff Collier, my buddy. You speak of staying faithful, and perservering with God, and it makes my heart swell. You are an inspiration, truly! I wish you didn't have to go through this pain, discomfort, and sad, trialing situation. Don't ever feel alone. I'm only a phone call, and about 5 minutes away. I'll listen to you; complain, cry, vent, anything. You know I love you girl! Lean on me, when you're not stong! I'll be your strength; I know I can't compete with God, but I'll be an extra smiling face alongside Him.

    ReplyDelete